"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands."
Picture taken Thursday evening in South Lake Tahoe by Paige (my future daughter-in-law)
I hope all of you have had a great week “in” the Lord. As I was just now pondering what I just wrote, what do you think about when a brother says, “Have a great day “in” the Lord.” The best place to answer that is of course in the Bible. Paul said:
“For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.” (Col 3:3) and
we are “……….dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.” (Romans 6:11)
Then of course, John the Baptist states, “He must increase, but I must decrease” (John 3:30) So let’s petition God that our desire is like Paul said, “For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain” (Phil 1:21)
I wrote a note to the brothers and sisters in India focusing on this verse: “Do all things without grumbling or disputing.” (Phil 2:14). We will go into a bit more detail next time, but I shared the following with them during their All Night Prayer on Wednesday:
Do we believe the following about God?
The nations are under His control
- Nature and animals are under His control
- God is Sovereign over Satan and evil spirits
- God uses wicked people for His plans
- God hardens hearts
- God sends trouble and calamity
- God puts people to death
- God does what He pleases and His purposes cannot be thwarted
- God guides all our steps and works all things after the counsel of His will
Photo from All Night Prayer this Wednesday
If we believe the statements above, why would we ever question His word? I might suggest you take the time to put Bible verses with each of the statements, but I have attached a PDF with a few verses for each. You will enjoy going through them.
See you at noon,
“I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.” (Gal 2:20)
- Albert Chong: See attached update by Christie Chong. I love what she wrote:
- Once again, we were given the sober reminder that we are not in control of our lives, and we desperately depend on our 24/7 Help, the One who is the unblocked “WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE”!
- Ron Rodriguez: Continue to pray for Ron and his brain tumor, for his wife Kristin, 2 daughters & parents, Chip and Jackie
- Pastor Govindu: Pray as he heads for the Andaman Islands this Monday for an E2/OT Seminar. The pastors there have been pleading for months that he come to teach them “true” discipleship.
- Bill Waller: God’s hand on him as he moves closer to a March trial with the Federal Govt.
- Romans Study: Friday, Feb 22nd
- Pennsylvania Men’s Retreat: “This Weekend” – February 8-10. Please pray for the men and teachers
- Lost Valley Men’s Retreat: March 1-3. Click Here for more information. Please pray for the men and teachers
- Alejandro Corral: Please continue to pray for Alejandro Jr. and the Corral Family. Thank you brothers.
- Larry Morris: Pray for his son-in-law, Jon Moryl, who has acquired a severe form of dementia. Pray for Colleen, Larry’s daughter.
- Please pray for all our wives and children!
Pray for our February 9th gathering from 7pm – 9pm (see map). Tony Hills will share his “One Man’s Story” to start the evening. Please RSVP today with our brother Lyle Brennan: E-mail: LyleNB@gmail.com Cell: (702) 592-4098
God Brings Calamity – Red Book, Day 40
Men, get this truth firmly established in your “inner” man.
The Absence of Options – Blue Book, Day 39
Always keep in mind, that this life is a “vapor” and eternity is forever!
DEALING WITH SUFFERING (3 of 5)
We continue in our discussion as to why we suffer:
God allows His disciples to suffer through persecution:
Everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted. If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember the words I spoke to you: ‘No servant is greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also (2 Tim. 3:12; Jn. 15:18-20). (See Matt. 5:10-12; Jn. 17:14; Heb. 11:32-39; I Pet. 4:10, 12-14)
God allows suffering through Satan’s harassment:
Jesus: My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. Paul: Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour Resist [Satan], standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings (Jn. 17:15; I Pet. 5:8, 9). (See Matt. 6:13; 13:19; Jn. 8:44; Lk. 13:16; 2 Cor. 2:11; Eph. 2:2; 1 Tim. 3:6,7; 2 Tim. 2:26; 1 Thess. 2:18)
God ordains that we take on the suffering of Christ:
[Christs] followers partake of His vicarious suffering, and fill up…. that which is lacking of the afflictions of Christ. Here, surely is a profound thought which may throw a flood of light on the deep mystery of human affliction. The cross of Christ furnishes the key to the meaning of sorrow as the greatest redemptive force in the universe.
Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. (Col. 1:24; Phil. 3:10; 1 Pet. 4:13). (See Act. 4:13; 2 Tim. 3:12; Heb. 11:32-38; I Pet. 2:20, 21)
This week, may you experience His grace, peace, and protection.