Sunset Over the Pacific
Near Pismo Beach – 12/22/18
I pray that you all had a wonderful Christmas. I mentioned in my last email that we would be spending ours in Santa Maria. It continues to amaze me the quality of photos we can get from our smart phones. It’s been a while since I have seen an ocean sunset. The verse that came to mind as the sun was setting, “Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted over the earth.” (Psalm 46:10)
By the way, we had a terrific time over Christmas at my son’s mother-in-law’s home in Santa Maria. My two granddaughters didn’t get a visit by Santa Claus, but they did get a visit by the Abominable “flame-throwing” Snowman, alias, Uncle John.
— — — —
Our brother, Andy Fetsis, has recently been sending me George Whitefield (1714-1770) quotes from time to time. This itinerant preacher and evangelist was, like we say in Texas hold ‘em…….. “All In.” Even though he had poor heath, he continued to preach the gospel. He said, “I would rather wear out than rust out.” He did just that…… his last sermon was in the middle of a field on top of a large barrel. He died the following day…………..
This letter from Geo. Whitefield to Benjamin Franklin, dated August 17, 1752, was quite profound:
“I find you grow more and more famous in the learned world. As you have made a pretty considerable progress in the mysteries of electricity, I would now humbly recommend to your diligent, unprejudiced pursuit and study, the mystery of the new birth. It is a most important, interesting study; and, when mastered, will richly answer and repay you for all your pains. One, at whose bar we are shortly to appear, hath solemnly declared, without it we cannot enter the kingdom of heaven. You will excuse this freedom. I must have something of Christ in all my letters.”
— — — —
In closing, let’s all petition the Lord this next year to not shy-away from what He has for us. To make clear what our “unique purpose” is and have great clarity as to “why we go to work.” May our “Fear of the Lord” increase exponentially so our fear of circumstances and of man will decrease exponentially. Let us be mindful of the words C.T. Studd so aptly stated, “Only one life, ‘twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.” To read a great short synopsis of C.T. Studd, click here
See you at noon on Friday!
A Few Prayer Requests:
- India: Pray that our brothers and sisters can find a safe place to assemble and conduct “All Night Prayer.” Even the Christian organization they had been renting from, has asked them to leave. Next All Night Prayer: Jan 1st @ 10pm IST (or 8:30am PST) NOTE: GOD PROVIDED A PLACE – ALL NIGHT PRAYER ENDED A FEW HOURS AGO!
- Ron Rodriguez: Continue to pray for Ron and his brain tumor, for his wife Kristin, 2 daughters & parents, Chip and Jackie
- Lost Valley Men’s Retreat: March 1-3. Click Here for more information. Please pray for the men and teachers
- Alejandro Corral: Please continue to pray for Alejandro Jr. and the Corral Family. Thank you brothers.
- Larry Morris: Pray for his son-in-law, Jon Maryl, who has acquired a severe form of dementia. Pray for Colleen, Larry’s daughter.
- Christy Carroll: Please pray for her son Jerome (23) who is schizophrenic. Also for Christy ….. it is taking a toll on her.
- Jim Blasco: My High School buddy. His cancer continues. Pray that Jim be accepted in the new protocol that has been developed.
- Dan Jensen: Attended Zion. Please pray for his church plant in St. George, Utah.
- Lex Williamson Family: Please pray for Mary (wife) and family. Lex was a dear brother in Christ that died Saturday morning. As my brother Mike Williams said, “May God use the memorial service (Jan 2nd) to lift up the Lord Jesus Christ to transform the lives of many for eternity by convicting of sin, bringing to repentance and saving obedient faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.”
Men, let’s pray throughout 2019 that all of us will have Biblical Marriages and children that love Jesus Christ.
Commit to Read the Bible in a Year
Men, there are a lot of options out there, here are just 3 of them:
- Email Lyle Brennan: firstname.lastname@example.org He sends out Walt’s daily devotional and Read the Entire Bible in 1 Year.
- Whether or not you utilize Lyle’s, please contact him to receive his daily emails.
- Navigators Discipleship Journal Bible Reading Plan: See attached PDF or Click Here
- YouVersion for your phone: https://www.bible.com/ They have Bible reading plans.
Lies Men Want to Believe – Part Seven [Red Book – Day 363]
Facts of the Matter
Three Painful Consequences Of Willful Rebellion
Men: Are you Dying to Live?
Don’t forget to read the post by Nathan Busenitz, “Living and Dying for the Glory of God”
https://www.tms.edu/blog/only-one-life/ C.T. Studd
From Gayle Jackson’s Attached Blog:
Questions and Thoughts for the New Year:
- How is your prayer and study life? I can’t be intimate with anyone if I am not talking and being with them. You don’t vicariously grow in Christ because of good friends or the organization you affiliate with.
- Do I know any degenerates that I show love to and challenge them in their thinking? We tend to drift towards a Christian ghetto.
- Am I giving cheerfully and enough? 2 Cor 9:6-7
- Am I a witness for the living God and Jesus in my life? Do I let people know I am committed to God? Does my family know of my commitment to Christ and God other than we go to Church?
- At your age are you ready to die and review your life with God? This could be the year.
See the remainder in Gayle’s Blog………….