“Now these people were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica,
for they received the word with great eagerness,
examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.”
I pray you are having a good week “in” the Lord. My wife sent me the photo of the 2 measuring tapes. For some reason it really struck me how quickly we accept things to be true. If some of you are like me, you don’t want to turn on the news or even scan the internet these days. It doesn’t take an in-depth investigation to determine how the truth is being severely twisted. The powers to be are borrowing from Saul Alinsky’s playbook, “Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty.” Of course I’m talking about what everybody’s talking about these days, the presidential campaign. Never in our lifetime would we be subjected to what we are experiencing at this time in history. A quick refresher from Romans 1:18,
“For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness
of people who suppress the truth in unrighteousness.”
That is one terrifying verse! Those that have been suppressing the truth in unrighteousness will literally have “hell to pay.” Jeremiah 17:5 says, “’This is what the Lord says: “Cursed is the man who trusts in mankind and makes flesh his strength, and whose heart turns away from the Lord’” and Galatians 1:10 states, “For am I now seeking the favor of people, or of God? Or am I striving to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.” Men, the only place we can go is to the Cross of Christ. But then we have these two verses, “For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: ‘“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the understanding of those who have understanding, I will confound.”’ (1 Cor 1:18-19)
Of course none of this makes any sense, unless you believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God, ….. AND.…. you have a heart to obey. Over the years I have run into many guys that have told me the Bible was written by fallible men and there are a lot of errors contained in it. Of course I’m interested and ask if they could show me where. I have yet to have anyone physically show me. Most are just parroting what someone else told them. In the months ahead I’ll share a few things you can use for the “Doubting Thomas.” Below is just 1 of 60 slides on the validity of the Bible. It shows the bibliographical evidence of the Bible. Note its accuracy compared to the other great historical authors.
Trusting only in Jesus!
“A preoccupation with the insignificant makes it impossible to bring priorities into perspective”
Men: We are getting ready to close registrations!
Go ahead and register and if full, we will put you on the “wait list.”
ZION 2020 – Dec 4-6
We have limited space so please sign-up
To register, click the link below:
Love, Knowledge, and Discernment – Red Book Day 303
The purpose of all these devotionals is to help you think Biblically
Audio Teaching of the Week:
Motivation: What is your Value System? – By Walt Henrichsen – 40 Minutes
Men, this is a great teaching…. “Are you laboring for the eternal or are you laboring for the temporal?”
Video of the Week:
Netflix: My Octopus Teacher – By Craig Foster – 85 Minutes Trailer: Click Here
Normally would not suggest you watch a Netflix documentary, but this one was exceptional. I found it so interesting because it was obvious this filmmaker was not a believer, therefore could not reconcile this amazing creation of God.
There Must Be God
5 Sticks: This is from the book, “101 Proofs for God” These books amaze me, because like last week, you can talk to a evolutionist and they never have a logical or satisfactory answer. If you are walking in a very secluded part of the woods and you come across these sticks. At first there are only 3 sticks. On a scale of 0 -100 (zero = it happened randomly and 100 = an intelligent being arranged the sticks), what would you assign as a number for 3 sticks? How about 4 sticks? 5 sticks? What if you came across 100 ordered sticks or let’s say 1000? Even at a 1000, you are not even close to when compared to our DNA. The human genome has 3 Billion Perfectly Ordered Sticks! That’s right…. 3 Billion “sticks” all lined up and organized…… there must be God!
Note: This was written several years prior to Dwight Hill’s death in 2014. How the world has changed since then!
WHAT TO DO IN A SHAKY AND CRUMBLING WORLD?
As I write, we are observing a world wobbling on its shaky foundation. Families are crumbling, and values from our Country’s inception are disintegrating before our eyes. What to do?
Well, one thing that is unchanging is our faithful God. This I know from 62 years of personal experience in walking with Him. And I know it from the Scriptures:
- God can be trusted: “God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?…Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands” (Num. 23:19; Deut 7:9). (See Ex.34:6, 7; Psa. 100:5)
- God’s love is unchanging: “I will punish their sin with the rod, their iniquity with flogging; but I will not take my love from him, nor will I ever betray my faithfulness…Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness” (Psa. 89:32, 33; Lam. 3:22,23).
- God’s word is enduring: “Your word, O Lord, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens…I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished” (Psa. 119:89; Matt. 5:18).
- God secures our eternal destiny : “I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand…God Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. I will not, I will not, I will not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let you down (relax My hold on you)! Assuredly not” (Jn. 10:28, 29; Heb. 13:5b – Amp.). (See I Jn. 5:11-13)
A.W. Tozer, makes these profound observations concerning God’s faithfulness : 1
- God being who He is cannot cease to be what He is. God cannot act out of character with Himself. He is at once faithful and immutable (unchanging). He cannot be compelled from without, but ever speaks and acts from within Himself by His own sovereign will as it pleases Him. Upon God’s faithfulness rests our whole hope of future blessing.
- Only as He is faithful will His covenants stand and His promise be honored. Only as we have complete assurance that He is faithful will we live in peace and look forward with assurance to the life to come.
CONCLUSION : Tozer’s word of encouragement for the weary soul : The tempted, the anxious, the fearful, the discouraged may all find new hope and good cheer in the knowledge that our heavenly Father is faithful. He will ever be true to His pledged word. The hard-pressed sons of the covenant may be sure that He will never remove His loving-kindness from them nor suffer His faithfulness to fail.
This week, may you experience His grace, peace, and protection.
R. Dwight Hill
1A. W. Tozer,The Knowledge of the Holy– Harper and Row, Publishers, 1961,pages 78 – 85